Welcome to my Den of Delights! Please make yourselves comfortable.

Saturday, April 9, 2011

REVIEW: The Notebook by Nicholas Sparks

4 of 5 Stars - (Read April 2009)

Sweet and romantic, but I liked the movie much more. In fact, I LOVED the movie and watched it before reading this. In the movie, the characters of Noah and Allie had more intensity and passion. It is one of those rare moments, for me, when the movie was better than the book.

There are some great quotes in this book, though. These were my favourite:

"I am a common man with common thoughts, and I've led a common life. There are no monuments dedicated to me and my name will soon be forgotten, but I've loved another with all my heart and soul, and to me, this has always been enough."

"We sit silently and watch the world around us. This has taken a lifetime to learn. It seems only the old are able to sit next to one another and not say anything and still feel content. The young, brash and impatient, must always break the silence. It is a waste, for silence is pure. Silence is holy. It draws people together because only those who are comfortable with each other can sit without speaking."

"The best love is the kind that awakens the soul and makes us reach for more, that plants a fire in our hearts and brings peace to our minds, and that's what you've given to me..."

"We fell in love, despite our differences, and once we did, something rare and beautiful was created. For me, love like that has only happened once, and that's why every minute we spent together has been seared in my memory. I'll never forget a single moment of it."

"So it's not gonna be easy. It's going to be really hard; we're gonna have to work at this everyday, but I want to do that because I want you. I want all of you, forever, everyday. You and me... everyday."

"I love you. I am who I am because of you. You are every reason, every hope, and every dream I've ever had, and no matter what happens to us in the future, everyday we are together is the greatest day of my life. I will always be yours."


3 comments:

  1. Yes, those quotes are beautiful. Love conquers everything.
    As with you, I watched the movie first before reading the book... Both the movie & book byk feeling.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah, I love those quotes, Mel. You're right, both the book and movie had a lot of feeling, but I just felt more with the movie and I just thought that Rachel McAdams and Ryan Gosling added a special spark to Noah and Allie. They just had more passion and intensity in the movie, and I loved that. But I love these quotes from the book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The notebook is one of the very few loves stories that truly
    captures the meaning of true love. This book is not a story you want to pass up it shows that no matter the situation, problems, of obstacles are put in loves path it will always find a way to shine throught the darkness. I have loved the treasured expierence to read this amazing book and go through love on its journey.

    ReplyDelete